Greensburg Child Support Lawyer

Finding Equitable Child Support and Alimony Arrangements

Whether it is ordered as part of a divorce or as a separate matter, child support is intended to help meet the needs of dependent children, including food, clothing, shelter, medical care, day care and education. Spousal support, or alimony, is intended to provide for a spouse whose post-marriage income is substantially lower than that of the other spouse. If you are ordered to pay or receive support, the payment amount is determined or approved by a court based on certain formulas and principles, but an experienced family lawyer can help you make sure your arrangements are as fair as possible.

Well Versed in the Law

Our firm's experienced family law attorneys are well versed in the laws and court procedures that govern Pennsylvania child support and spousal support. In negotiations and in court, we can represent you to make sure your interests or the interests of your children are protected.

In addition, if you believe your present support arrangements are unfair, or you have experienced life changes that will impact your ability to pay or your need for support, we can help you seek modification to an existing court order. Contact us.

Commonly Asked Questions

How can I figure out how much child support I'm entitled to, or how much I have to pay? Under Pennsylvania law, child support formulas have been established that take into account both parents' incomes, the number of children, the children's expenses and other factors, and online calculators can be used to get an estimate concerning your situation. Exceptions to these formulas can be made in some cases.

Can I get my ex-spouse to maintain health insurance for our children? In many cases, yes. This will depend on the availability and cost of health insurance for each parent, and sometimes upon specific medical needs your children have.

Can my child's other parent get out of paying child support? If that parent is required by law to pay, it will be difficult for him or her to avoid being responsible for payments without a court order to the contrary. In cases where child support is not being paid as ordered, our attorneys can help you resolve the matter, primarily by using negotiation, demand letters, and enforcement and contempt of court proceedings.

Can someone voluntarily reduce his or her income to avoid paying child support? Not legally. However, if a payer of child support experiences a significant, involuntary loss of income, he or she may be able to secure a modification of the child support order.

Contact a Greensburg Child Support Attorney

Our Westmoreland County spousal support attorneys can answer your specific questions and help you work toward the best possible arrangements for yourself and your family. Contact Stewart, McArdle, Sorice, Whalen, Farrell, Finoli & Cavanaugh, LLC, to learn more.