The Attorneys Of Stewart Sorice Farrell Finoli And Cavanaugh LLC

Creating Fair And Equitable Child Support, Spousal Support And Alimony Arrangements

Whether it is negotiated as part of a divorce or ordered as a separate matter, child support and spousal support are intended to help meet the needs of dependent children and a dependent spouse, including food, clothing, shelter, medical care, day care and education. Alimony is intended to provide for a dependent spouse whose post-marriage income is substantially lower than that of the other spouse. If support is ordered, the payment amount is negotiated by the spouses or approved by a court based in part certain economic formulas and principles. An experienced family lawyer can help make sure your agreement or court-ordered obligation is as fair as possible.

Well-Versed In The Law

Our firm’s experienced family law attorneys are well-versed in the laws and court procedures that govern Pennsylvania child support, spousal support and alimony. In negotiations and in court, we can represent you to make sure your interests or the interests of your children are protected.

In addition, if you believe your present support agreement or court order is unfair, or you have experienced life or income changes rendering you unable to pay your support obligation, our experienced family law attorneys can help you lower or reduce that obligation. Likewise, if you, your ex-spouse or co-parent experiences a life change such as a raise or decrease in income, we can help you seek a modified support order.

Commonly Asked Questions

How can I figure out how much child support I’m entitled to or how much I must pay? Under Pennsylvania law, child support formulas have been established that take into account both parents’ incomes, the number of children, the children’s expenses and other factors. Alternatives, changes and deviations to these formulas can be made in some cases.

Can I get my ex-spouse to maintain health insurance for our children? In many cases, yes. This will depend on the availability and cost of health insurance for each parent and sometimes on children’s specific medical needs.

Can my child’s other parent get out of paying child support? Generally, all parents are required by law to pay support for their child or children. It will be difficult for him or her to avoid being responsible for support payments without a court order. In cases where child support is not being paid as ordered, our attorneys can help you resolve the matter, by enforcement and contempt of court proceedings.

Can someone voluntarily reduce his or her income to avoid paying child support? No. However, if a payor of child support or spousal support experiences a significant, involuntary loss of income, he or she may be able to secure a modification of the child support order. Our experienced family law attorneys can fight or defend an attempt to reduce child support and spousal support.

Contact A Child Support And Spousal Support Attorney Today

Our Westmoreland County spousal support attorneys can answer your specific questions, and help you work toward the best possible arrangements for you and your family. Contact Stewart, Sorice, Farrell, Finoli & Cavanaugh, LLC, in Greensburg to learn more. Call 724-610-9914 or toll free at 866-601-9627.